Sunday, March 22, 2020

Pieter Lategan Title: Paavo Nurmi

 

Total medals: 12 
Medium: A4 Pencil H
 
Paavo Nurmi, the top-ranked athlete in track and field at the Olympic Games, won 12 total medals won12.
With coronavirus all over the world, I am not sure if the Olympics in Japan are going to happen. I thought it was good to draw Paavo from a photo that I got from the Internet. 

He was a Finnish (13 June 1897 – 2 October 1973) middle-distance and long-distance runner and had the nickname Flying Finn. He set 22 official world records at distances between 1500 meters and 20 kilometers. 

He left school at the age of twelve to provide for his family. In 1912, he was inspired by the Olympic feats of Hannes Kolehmainen and began developing a strict training program.

Nurmi was suspended before the 1932 Games by the IAAF council that questioned his amateur status, and in 1934 he retired from running.
 

Numi later coached Finnish runners, raised funds for Finland during the Winter War, and worked as a haberdasher, building contractor, and share trader, eventually becoming one of Finlands richest people. 

So what do I think of my work? 

I drew it from a black-and-white photo and felt that worked very well. It is almost there; I think I did a good job with the eyes but struggled with the nose. The mouth was a bit difficult with the v-shaped lips he had. I really need to work on a background idea that will work for my portrait studies.

I am very proud of myself today. I did two portrait sketches and want to try to do that every day. I get tired, but I need much more practice before I can think of starting painting in oil, but that is my goal.

Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paavo_Nurmi

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Lauren" - Pieter Lategan

 First Publication: 16 September 2024 5:46 PM Model: "Lauren" - Photo by Pieter Lategan I took this photo last night at #raras the...